- Something you're passionate about.
- Something you know a lot about.
- A topic you don't mind studying to expand your knowledge base.
- Topics you never tire of talking about.
Why are soapboxes so valuable?
- Not only do you already know the material, but you're passionate about them.
- Your passion draws people and ignites their interest, enthusiasm and spreads to them.
- Soapboxes give you a jumping off point for many things.
- They help you home in and focus with precision.
- That precision changes your message from buck shot to laser beam.
- Knowing what your soapboxes are allows you to find places for your articles or events looking for speakers.
One Soapbox or More?Although you may only start out with one soapbox, you might find those little critters multiply or sprout when you aren't watching.
Years ago, my one and only soapbox was homeschooling. It was a topic I knew about and lived. That grew into a second box: being a wife. As the years went on, herbs became a topic I love talking about (bet you didn't know that one! LoL.) because it's something I've spent years studying.
Those are three of my soapboxes, and even though you don't hear much about them on here, I've used them to write for other sites over the years. Those soapboxes helped me tremendously, and still do. These days you're likely to know and recognize some other favorites of mine: Blogging (and all its sub-topics), Platforms, Persona.There's a couple others that are sprouting and maturing on the sidelines and you'll meet them after awhile.